slideshow

Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Thing #8 - What in the World Is a Wiki?


The first wiki I linked into was "Go West."  I'm always looking for resources that can help connect my 8th graders to grade level reading. The biggest problem I have in my learning environment is to keep the lessons simple.  The main point I have to make is that while my students may have special needs they DO NOT want elementary lessons, as I am sure you know what I am talking about. This wiki is informatve, with pictures and definitions that look like my word wall.  It is surely something my students could identify with.

The other wiki I linked into was "Code Blue."  This is a good site for students to engage in learning of the human body. The link takes you to a website entitled InnerBody.com, and with a point and click of the mouse, the viewer can get information on the importance of a specific body part and where it is located in the body. I would have to guide my students through the reading, but it could be used later for the students to do independent work in the classroom or at home for homework. Every time I have an ARD and a parent is present, they ask why doesn't Johnny or Sue have homework. The answer is because I have to teach at a grade level and still adapt lessons for those students who may only read at a fourth grade level or lower.  I have to monitor classroom work and guide them through certain teaching methods and most of the time it's not conducive to independent work at home.  But hopefully by using these wiki's I can start connecting the dots for the student and help him or her bridge a learning gap.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing a great job bridging the gap for your students.

    ReplyDelete